So much for your beloved Facebook...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So much for your beloved Facebook...

Post by jOn3z3y on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:22 pm

This is just soooo wrong.

"Teachbook.com has two employees and fewer than 20 users signed up for its free Web community. The site has yet to officially launch.

But the Northbrook, Ill.-based company, which provides tools for teachers to manage their classrooms and share lesson plans and other resources, has been thrust into the spotlight by social networking giant Facebook, which sued the start-up for using “book” in its name.

“We’ve been sitting here scratching our heads for the last couple of days,” Teachbook’s managing director, Greg Shrader, told the Tribune on Wednesday. “We’re trying to understand how Facebook, a multibillion-dollar company, feels this small enterprise in Chicago is any type of threat.”
Facebook, which was founded in 2004 and has more than 500 million users, filed its trademark infringement lawsuit in U.S. district court in San Jose last week, asserting that the “book” part of its name is “highly distinctive in the context of online communities and networking websites.”

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/08/facebook-says-it-owns-rights-to-the-name-book.html

Well folks...I'm deleting my FB account. I refuse to deal w/ company that sells our personal info, data mines computers, and engages in this type of underhanded business methods.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[img][/img]
jOn3z3y

Number of posts : 2272
Birthday : 1973-10-31
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: So much for your beloved Facebook...

Post by chiller345 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Not mine. They`re selling the info of a supposed person born in 1989, with a maplestory avatar. Hurray for lying.
chiller345

Number of posts : 65
Birthday : 1990-05-10
Location : Za Warudo, Human Dominated Forward moving time Universe #1
Registration date : 2010-08-18

http://chiller345.has-no-homepage.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyo on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Its not a social site, its an educational site, why should facebook care at all?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Boyo

(\_/)
(O.o) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature
(> <) to help him achieve world domination
Boyo

Number of posts : 501
Birthday : 1989-01-29
Registration date : 2009-01-28

http://Benjaminwelch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jOn3z3y on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 pm

Personally, I'm hoping someone will crank up their bot net and DDoS them.

[img][/img]
jOn3z3y

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyo on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:00 am

Now that would make my day Very Happy

Boyo

(\_/)
(O.o) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature
(> <) to help him achieve world domination
Boyo

Number of posts : 501
Birthday : 1989-01-29
Registration date : 2009-01-28

http://Benjaminwelch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chiller345 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:17 am

My botnet has nobody, due to the fact my ability to trick people is lacking. Alot. Wait, does mine even exist anymore?
chiller345

Back to top Go down

Post by DirkTheSupernaut on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:12 am

You think Facebook's engaging in some underhanded business practices?

Check this out: http://www.nowpublic.com/health/key-health-care-laws-begin-thursday-ins-cos-drop-kids
DirkTheSupernaut

Number of posts : 115
Birthday : 1994-09-30
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by gumby on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:36 am

I hate facebook with a passion

gumby

Number of posts : 357
Birthday : 1978-09-01
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jOn3z3y on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:10 pm

The sad thing is, big business is like that everywhere Dirk. Drug companies that put out "wonder" pills that kill and cripple the persons who take them.
Ever notice more than 85% of all new prescription drugs get recalled, and removed from the market for just those reasons? The FDA??? They rubber stamp those very same drugs.

Car manufacturers that weigh the profit margin they make off a vehicle against the cost of a recall and the lawsuits. The deaths and maimings aren't even factored in.

Even Google (the search engine), is sending out Streetview cars stealing wifi information from anyone w/ an open network. Who knows if they are cracking the secured networks too.

Think it's any different for gaming companes? Lol....nope. We've been getting nothing but crap console ports forever. CoD MW2 for instance, you can't even complete two of the spec ops missions w/o a console....unless you haul your entire computer to a buddies house and set up a mini lan party. Which you CAN do online w/ the console.....not with your computer though. lol....the list is endless.

Point being, unless we stand up for ourselves and refuse to buy from companies that engage in these business tactics. Taking the power back from them......then nothing will happen.

[img][/img]
jOn3z3y

Back to top Go down

Post by chiller345 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:45 am

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

So true. Just about all big buisinesses are exactly like that. A small buisiness: "Hmm, we`ll never be able to compete with everybody unless we make some of the best honey and molasses treats ever!" When they turn into a huge buisiness: "Hey, if we replace our high-quality molasses and honey with fake molasses and honey, we can maximize our profits!"

And also, problem is that the big buisinesses are of many and widespread everywhere, but the small businesses can`t afford enough to have tons of locations, so unless you`re lucky, or the newspaper review person or etc. gets lucky and finds a good place and reviews it, chances are you won`t find any better things, unless you look harder than most poeple are willing to. Also, hurray for diaspora.
chiller345

Back to top Go down

Post by DirkTheSupernaut on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:51 am

I wish taking down big business was as simple as simply boycotting their services, but one customer isn't going to make much of a difference, and creating an organized, mainstream effort against them would be next to impossible.

Let's think about it: one day, you find out some bad stuff about... oh let's say Monsanto (and yes, Monsanto is an actual company). Okay, you've boycotted their products, but Monsanto hasn't changed their ways. The next logical step would be to spread the word. Here's where there's a problem: Monsanto isn't going to like you badmouthing them and trying to get people to not use their products, so if they find out you're saying some unflattering things about them, more likely than not, they're going to sue you for defamation/libel. As for how such a trial can turn out, just look at the McLibel case.

And I won't even bring up government intervention, since the reliability of the U.S.'s various regulatory agencies has been called into question.

Plus, sometimes it just isn't feasible to refuse the services of some of these companies. Insurance is a perfect example. It's not like you're going to simply not have insurance just because you don't like the business practices of the companies that provide it (especially since you're required to have some types of insurance, such as auto insurance and (in a few years) health insurance, by law).

So as much as I'd like to see big business get it's ass whooped, I just don't see it happening any time soon.
DirkTheSupernaut

Back to top Go down

Post by jOn3z3y on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:55 pm

That is why the word is being spread. Now, if people will just wake up and stop taking the easy way out. Some good will be done.

Example. Bollywood is currently using illegal tactics via AIplex (their hired gun) to DDoS torrent sites (Pirate Bay, among others). Breaking international law as it were.

Currently, a rather large group of entities are (and have been), DDoS'ing AIplex, the MPAA, and RIAA's websites in retaliation. All their sites have been up and down for 5 days now. Yarr, pirates be winning! Very Happy

They can require whatever they like by law. Idc, I won't comply with laws that are immoral nor improperly tilted towards the corporations. Believe me....there are more ways of dealing with those situations than you can imagine. There are ways around everything.

You severerly underestimate the power of the consumer. The problem is, getting people to open their eyes, and seeing the problem. Then getting them off their collective, lazy asses to do something about it.

[img][/img]
jOn3z3y

Back to top Go down

Post by DirkTheSupernaut on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:47 am

But in violating laws and engaging in DDoS attacks, we're no better than the entities we're trying to vanquish. At some point, the means are going to stop justifying the ends.

And, as I said before, it's not like these companies are going to just let you tell people about the kind of immoral practices they engage in. They're going to do absolutely EVERYTHING in their power (lawsuits, PR stunts, etc.) to try to either get you to shut up or to make your statements appear false.

Plus, as you said, even if you were able to reach out to a large group of people, chances are most of them would say,"That's terrible! Someone should do something!" and forget about the whole thing the next day, telling themselves, "It hasn't done anything bad to me. Why should I care?"
DirkTheSupernaut

Back to top Go down

Post by jOn3z3y on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:08 am

If the government is breaking it's laws...then the law is meaningless. There is a distinct difference between laws and morality. They should go hand in hand, but they don't.

Who cares what they say or do to try to cover their bullshit? Their word is already compromised, so the question is...who's dumb enough to believe them after that?

If people are so foolish as to sit there and take it....that's their perogative. I won't, I'll do what has to be done, as Martin Luther King once said "By whatever means necessary." I stick to my morals....not their's (or lack thereof).

[img][/img]
jOn3z3y

Back to top Go down

Post by DirkTheSupernaut on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:49 am

Believe me, there are people that are stupid enough to not only ignore the problem, but work against the solution (the Tea Party's role during the health reform debates is a perfect example of this). With a few lobbyists and some fear-mongering politicians, a company can, more or less, create their own private army.

And let's say some less-than-pleasant information about a company becomes common knowledge. All a company needs to do is promise to make some "changes" and launch a nice PR campaign. It worked wonders for Toyota.

And even though Dr. King said he'd accomplish his aims "by whatever means necessary", I'm positive there were some lines he simply would NOT cross.
DirkTheSupernaut

Back to top Go down

Post by jOn3z3y on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:54 am

Agreed, his moral lines he would not cross. Nor will I. However, I'm a fan of guerilla warfare Very Happy

[img][/img]
jOn3z3y

Back to top Go down

Post by DirkTheSupernaut on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:58 am

Hmm... in that case, maybe I should start calling you "Che" from now on.
DirkTheSupernaut

Back to top Go down

Post by jOn3z3y on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:01 pm

lol....Che j0n3z3y sounds like a lame french resteraunt. Pls don't Very Happy Maybe I'll start calling you Castro if ya do Razz

[img][/img]
jOn3z3y

Back to top Go down

Post by DirkTheSupernaut on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:59 am

All right, Che j0n3z3y's out.

Subcomandante j0n3z3y has a nice ring to it, though.
DirkTheSupernaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top